If you are looking for the perfect Wisconsin summer getaway, look no further than Bayfield! Our charming Lake Superior town is a gateway city to the Apostle Islands, an archipelago of 22 islands known for their historic lighthouses, sandstone cliffs, and sea caves. The largest and most accessible option is Madeline Island, just a short ferry ride away from Old Rittenhouse Inn. Discover all the things to do on Madeline Island, from outdoor exploration to souvenir shopping and paddling adventures!
How to Get to Madeline Island
The easiest way to travel from Bayfield to Madeline Island is on the Madeline Island Ferry Line. The ferry departs from the Bayfield Terminal at 20 Washington Avenue, just a two-minute walk from Old Rittenhouse Inn! Ferry rates depend on whether you ride as a passenger or with a motor vehicle. View the Madeline Island ferry schedule to discover when the ferry arrives and departs during your visit.
Discover all the Things to Do on Madeline Island
Madeline Island Water Activities
Discover water activities on Madeline Island, including kayaking, boating, stand-up paddleboarding, and swimming. Big Bay State Park offers a 2,350-acre park with a 1.5-mile beach ideal for boating, fishing, and swimming. Big Bay Town Park offers access to even more water adventures in Big Bay Lagoon. Reserve boat tours and rentals with Adventure Vacations.
Explore the Great Outdoors
There is an abundance of things to do on Madeline Island on land, from hiking to biking and bird watching. Explore seven miles of hiking trails at Big Bay State Park, and keep an eye out for over 200 bird species as you explore! One of the best ways to get around the island is on wheels, with 27 miles of paved roads. Bring your bike on the ferry or rent one with Motion-To-Go.
Shop for a Unique Souvenir
- Madeline Island Candles: Shop for locally made environmentally friendly candles at this local gift shop!
- Dockside Gift Shop: Find the perfect souvenir at Dockside and browse art, home decor, clothing, games, and more!
- Mission Hills Coffee House: Grab a cup of joe and then head next door to the adjoining gift shop and browse t-shirts, gifts, and jewelry.
- Bell Street Gallery: Find a one-of-a-kind piece of locally made art at Bell Street, including paintings, jewelry, ceramics, fibre art, and woodcut prints.
Enjoy Dining at Madeline Island Restaurants
- Tom’s Burned Down Cafe: Tom’s is a unique island bar that was destroyed in 1992. Ever since, they have remained open as a hole-in-the-ground bar featuring live music and libations every weekend!
- Beach Club on Madeline Island: Enjoy picturesque views of Lake Superior in a laidback setting as you enjoy classics from the bar and kitchen.
- Cafe Seiche: Enjoy delicious farm-to-table dining at this charming cafe, serving anything from trout salad to chicken pot pie!
Plan Your Wisconsin Summer Getaway
Stay with Old Rittenhouse Inn and experience the ultimate Wisconsin summer getaway! All the things to do on Madeline Island are just a short ferry ride away. Book your vacation at our Bayfield bed and breakfast today!